Sunday, July 6, 2008

Music draft

I was thinking about how fun it would be to have a bunch of friends do some kind of draft, talk about everyone's selections, and then make a podcast out of it. Draft coverage is pretty fun. Lots of cliches and surprises, etc.

Anyway, the idea came up with is the Mix Tape League. Ok, so you get 10 friends who are going to draft 10 bands or artists. Then they have to come up with 5 mix tapes (over the course of 5 months) using ONLY those 10 artists. The mix tapes are posted online and people can vote on who's they like the best. This would be fun to do with music critics and celebrities but I don't know or like any of those so I'm going to do it with my friends.

It would be done in snake draft fashion, you could have cool team names, trades are totally allowed and you could even add categories. Like each team would have to have one motown artist, one UK artist, one solo artist, etc. If you wanted. You wouldn't have to. Oh, and there would definitely be some open slots that could be any type of band. And one final rule, songs can't be repeated on the tapes. So a band like the Velvet Teen has some value because they have 3 or 4 awesome mix tape songs but a band like the Decemberists might be more valuable beacause of their deeper catalog. Here's how the draft might look...

Round 1
Team 1 - The Beatles (1)
Team 2 - The Rolling Stones (2)
Team 3 - Coldplay (3)
Team 4 - The Supremes (4)
Team 5 - The Killers (5)
Team 6 - Ryan Adams (6)
Team 7 - Beyonce (7)
Team 8 - Old 97's (8)
Team 9 - Morrissey (9)
Team 10 - Neko Case (10)

Round 2
Team 10 - Decemberists (11)
Team 9 - The Smiths (12)
Team 8 - The Ghost (13)
Team 7 - James Brown (14)
Team 6 - Elvis (15)
Team 5 - Thrice (16)
Team 4 - Johnny Cash (17)
Team 3 - Alkaline Trio (18)
Team 2 - U2 (19) Editor's note: I fucking hate U2. With a passion. And I now hate Team 2.)
Team 1 - Jonah (20)

I don't know if I agree with any of those picks. I kind of like Team 8's pairing of The Ghost with the Old 97's. Team 2 is off to a shitty start. So you'd go ten rounds with one song from each band on each mix tape.

Fuck this sounds awesome. I wish I had 9 friends.

No comments: