Sunday, October 5, 2008

My Computer

Sean had to hear me blathering on about my ideal computer already today. So hopefully he won't read this.

Basically I want an iPhone the size of a book. A tablet computer with fancy touch screen capabilities. I mean, 1) would be an ideal ereader device, but finally one that has another purpose. I'm purposing that people generally like and are used to the size and shape of books. Most bags fit them, they tend to be light enough.

2) A larger size would pretty well solve the only irrating thing about the onscreen keyboard on the iPhone. I don't think that it is the fact that the keyboard is onscreen that really bugs people, but that the letters are too close together to really be easy to punch accurately and quickly. Solved.

3) Same size thing can be said about viewing web pages. The iPhone deals with it well, but imagine the extended realestate and how much better that would be. Smaller than a normal computer, yes, but just about right for anything you're attempting to really read (like a book, see).

4) I'd add a stylus for active note taking. While the iPhone touch capabilities have made this unecessary for basic usuage there is still a good point to having it for being able to jot notes down quickly. I think the technology for script recognition is defininately there and I think this is one of the big inferface issues left to deal with. People want something that has many different ways to interact with, all of which are the ones that we're used to dealing with. Typing is essential, but so is a couple quick strokes of a pen. I don't think people are really willing to give up either option. This will also make the computer essentially a writing tablet when you want it to be, thus making it ideal for meetings, classes and things where punch away at a computer is still considered indecent.

I'm pretty sure I just invented the ideal computer. The only thing I can think of that is wrong with it is that I'm not sure anyone would be willing to put something booksized up to their ear and call it a phone. But people I'm misjudging. I thought it was weird that people accepted the first hunking smart phones when smaller options with less function were available. But people do tend to follow function.

I sez these are esstential functions. Get to it peoples. Apple...I'm looking at you.

No comments: