Saturday, December 20, 2008

Small miracles

My brain is weird. Or maybe it isn't. Maybe it works just like normal. But anyway, here is a way I process things. Maybe you do it the same way, maybe you don't. When I have something coming up that I'm stressed out about, like a speech at work or a non-work function I don't really want to go to, I try to bookend it with things I like.

So say I have a tough project on Wednesday I have to do. I'll plan something fun and relaxing on Tuesday night, and then something fun and relaxing for Wednesday night.

Right now you might be thinking, "this guy is retarded. This is the most basic thing ever."

Well first I would scold you for saying "retarded". Then I would say, maybe you're right. But I'm not talking about HUGE parties or treats for yourself to surround the bad stuff. I'm talking about slowing down for a second and appreciating the good things you have going on in order to pull some energy away from focusing on the bad. It could just be dinner with a friend. Or sitting on your couch and doing nothing. Or making the dinner you really want.

You can just focus on that good moment which comes before the stressful one. And then when the stressful starts to creep in, focus on the good moment that will come after.

I think it's about building a balance and not letting yourself tip over one way or the other. This has been so incredibly helpful for me I can't even tell you. I wish I could explain it better. Because if I could, then you might be excited about it.

This is just how I get through the day. Whatever. Not all our ideas can be fascinating.

No comments: