Friday, July 18, 2008

Greatest Hits

I wanna say that I'll explain this better later, but in reality you'll have to wait until it either happens or we decide to include this idea in the APE collection.

I think a band (more than one if they want, but it will only really be novel for the first band that does it) should put out a greatest hits record of entirely new songs.

You see, the idea is that all of the things that go on a greatest hits record go there for a reason. Either because they were particularly memorable songs or because they come from a certain era of the band's productive life.

My idea is that bands (a band) should write all new songs with that same idea in mind (replicating the same feel/sound/idea of whatever songs they would include on a greatest hits record). That way the record would be entirely new and exciting but would be made with the sounds of the past in mind.

Now I'm not saying that this should be done all the time. Just that instead of a greatest hits record, how great would it be to have something entirely new that served a nearly similar (but much better) function as one of those records?

Shear genius I think. Whatever band gets to it first can have it. If I had a catalog of records and sounds to pull from, I'd do it today.

No comments: