Sunday, July 20, 2008

Not Content

This one is going to be tricky because I'm thinking about some oddly structural things that are crossing over into terminology and I have no idea where I'm going with it.

Title explanation: It's supposed to be a double intention. I'm not content that what I hear a lot about online is the mechanisms that organize and not the content that they organize. Google, it searches and lets you get at. Social networking sites, they let you see your friends, but what is actually there?

Content on the internet is spotty at best. Wikipedia is both a premiere example of what I mean and also probably a counter example. I was going to say that we're all so obsessed with the idea of a wiki that we don't care about the content. But there I think the content is really what matters, it drives the site more than the participation in the device. So maybe I'd like to say that Wikipedia is a good example of what I'd like.

Here, however, is where it gets sticky. Because I'd like to say right now that I want something that gives us a link and organization to content, paths one can walk from interesting places on the internet. But I precisely do not want us to care about the pathways themselves or the pathway makers. I want us to not at all care about what marvelous algorithm allows us to traverse the internet place to place. And yet, I want it to do so in a bold innovative way that is probably worthy of such admiration.

What will it look like? I can't say too well. Except perhaps that we could use the model of a road and of some linking connection. Like a way of visualizing in the distance (in an interesting way) the paths you could take away from the website you currently find yourself on.

Maybe all I want is a more robust system of links (eg, more visually interesting) between the content that is out there.

This is all about content and nothing about devices and methods. Except that it isn't.

Focus on the material, not the method. Word of the day.

No comments: