Thursday, July 31, 2008

Second Purge

This post is in honor of my having a new place to live, the end of 4 months of homelessness. And in honor of Ciana's bold move to New York City:

You know how when you move you try your hardest to pair your stuff down? And how despite how successful you are, you feel like you still have a bunch of crap you don't want and don't know why you have it? And mostly you're angry because you have to haul all of that pointless shit to some new place far far away?

What happens is you think: I know that at some point I'm going to want this and then I'm going to be bad at past me for throwing it away and for making future me (then present me) dig into my wallet and buy something lame like more sponges and salt and a tiara or whatever. So you keep a pile of rocks that you don't understand the possible future purpose of.

Well, I purpose that you do the same thing on the other side as you're unpacking your stuff in your new place. This works especially well (as in my case) if you've stored your stuff for awhile before moving into the new place. That way you have some distance from the packing up. And as you're unpacking you can look at that crazy pile of rocks and say: "Why the hell did I pack this, that is stupid, trash for you pile o' rocks."

And what glee you'll feel when you've taken two full passes at your stuff and thrown out a bunch of useless crap. No sense cluttering up your new place when you have an opportunity to start from scratch. Stuff weighs you down. Even more so when you've got that blank slate new place. Those old pots may not go with the place and are broken. Make sure you want what you have. And only have what you want.

No comments: