Saturday, August 16, 2008

Dust Fan

It isn't so much that I'm obsessed with the problem of dust (a problem which incidentally I do very little to nothing about) but that I'm highly allergic to the stuff and it is therefore on my mind an inordinate amount of time. That and I would like to see it better contained with less effort for me. (We'll neglect for the moment my love of the broke down and "dusty" where dusty is more like particles of dirt instead of particles of whatever common household dust is.)

I'm sure in actuality the market is flooded with dust capturing devices. But even if it is they can't be good enough yet cause I ain't got one and I haven't heard that there is a miracle just out there waiting for me yet.

You know how fans collect a lot of dust on their blades? They do. But usually slowly over time and when they collect of that oddly oily substance (quite likely to be actual oil in small quantities from the fan itself. Well how about a fan built to optimize this effect? It could work as a regular fan in its day to day life, circulating air and providing you with a nice breeze. But it would have the added benefit of catching as much of the dust that passes its way as possible and not recirculating that in the air.

But here is the kicker. It should also have a super high speed mode that really went for the hard to get to dust. Similar to my dust bomb idea, you could leave this going in the house while you're out (because it is likely to kick up more dust) and when you come home it'll have eaten as much of the dust as it can. 

The other kicker, and this is why fans can't already count as this type of device, would be easily removable and cleanable cartridges that contained the dust, like a lint trap in a dryer. 

And there you have it.

No comments: