Tuesday, September 30, 2008

Gallery

1) Art galleries are usually boring.

Yesterday's post got me thinking about personal museums. I was thinking about making your own little personal museum in a china cabinet if you don't recall. Part of that entail clarifying the word museum to mean something like: a collection of your interests. In yesterday's post this entails thinking of an herb garden as completely appropriate to a museum of your interests. And not just the objects of representation, but the active garden itself.

Now I want to expand:

1) Art galleries are usually boring.

I like the open store front space, sure. I like the room to meander through the space. But I would love to see more diversity in the "art" offerings. I guess actually I'm talking about something very different than an art gallery in reality, but I am also talking about stealing their spaces.

You know how browsing through some shops is just really fun? All the things you see, both the displays and the items are just great. And in a store like anthro you can actually buy up the displays too. Well, I'm thinking of that effect in the place of an art gallery / museum. Everything should be active in such a place. Every little detail. If you want to put these things on sale, that's good to, then maybe there would be a point.

So really, I'm asking for me or you or whoever else to create a sort of "shop'" / "gallery" / "museum" (and maybe sell coffee? who knows?) that is alive.

No comments: