Tuesday, September 23, 2008

Office Have

The last few days I've had an office with no work. And I don't just mean, no work to do at the time, I mean an office without a job (at least not one that has started yet). Let me tell you it is really nice. I'd suggest it to anyone.

Idea is, you can't have any work that you should be doing. Obviously not everyone can swing that. But I mean, at least when you go to this office of yours you shouldn't have anything you need to work on there (eg if you do have something else to do probably don't go to this office).

...except that things you want to work on I mean. Like writing. Or thinking. Or even getting practical things done that are not work at all. For some people I think a garage or a shed or a barn or some other area carved out can serve a similar and probably wider range of functions.

But what I really mean to say is that having this place outside of your house can be a really good thing. There are obviously arguments to be had on either side. But houses tend to be full of distractions. And offices tend to be horribly confining. But if you don't have anything you really need to do, an office could be the best place in the world to do something, but not something you have to do.

I know this all sounds pretty rambly, but it is right. I'm having a great time getting 'work' done in a totally serious and non-pressure environment.

No comments: