Friday, September 19, 2008

Talk Like Your Favourite Anachornism Day

If you didn't catch the reference in the title, today is Talk like a Pirate Day. Which is all well and good. More power to the pirates. But I've never really seen myself as a pirate. Sure there as a wonderful cache to them and there are plenty of things I envy in their style and swagger, not to mention their fundamental belief systems. But still, they do not align with my core need for an anachronistic counterpoint to our modern drudgery.

So here's my thinking: Pirates are neat, but they aren't for everyone. So why do they get to be the predominate subculture here where all sorts of their merch is available for purchase? It's because you and I aren't speaking up loudly enough about other viable alternatives for the mass producers to produce merchandise for.

So please do so. If you wanna dress like an oil tycoon, or a pioneer, or a gaucho from the Argentinian Pampas or a Venetian Viscount for all I care, please do so. And stick with it. We've got to make our other interests known so that the producers can make cheap crap for us to buy too.

Or if nothing else, we can follow our own tendencies instead of those heavily marketed to us.

I did, however, realize while writing this that there are plenty of other groups following their own anachronistic motives in the world: Ren Faire and LARP people, SciFi folks, Civil War reenactors. I suppose I'll just advocate that those people pipe up a little more and get themsevles their own day to talk how they wanna talk and publicize their own personal joyful imaginings.

No comments: