Thursday, September 4, 2008

Vomit on the Internet

I'm not sure why I think this is a good idea, but I do and I tend to follow this philosophy in my own life. Put everything about yourself up on the internet.

For one I think there is value in living your life in the open. This mean specifically that you put stuff up into the public sphere and you sort of stand and stare down the public saying: what? what are you looking at? You know, in a sort of threatening way. Meaning: be yourself and do it openly as a test for the values you think you hold. That and the vague social scene of the internet requires ou to look at what you're doing and think about who might see it at any point in the future (employers, grandchildern) and think whether that is something you ought to be doing or not.

And now I remember having written this before. Except that whole internet part. I think one of the points of that is that you put it into an imminently public space.

The internet was made to be flooded. Every interesting internet technology in the last 10 years (well most) have been about coping with, filtering through and dealing with that flood. So flood on. And put your portion of it out there.

There has never been a time in history as ripe for you to put what you're doing out into the world. Other people may want to meet you. May want to see what you're doing. They may even want to give you money or love or surplus joy.

I guess that's the promise of the internet (without all of those practical concerns and potential dangers). But live it up. Take advantage of time that has never been before.

Enjoy.

No comments: