Friday, October 10, 2008

Useful Education

I was thinking about basic health the other day. And how there have always been wives tale cures for things. But now, in the modern world of health care most of that seems to be discredited, or at least undervalued. But in reality the point was always about knowing something about yourself, or being able to provide for yourself. Don't you think current medical science could lend a hand with that and provide people more knowledge about how to do basic home diagnosis? Is it simply that we don't trust people with that knowledge?

So that's where this started off. And spinning out of that premise I thought we really should have some really basic functional human things taught to us in public school while we're young. Basic home remedies and like understanding how your own body works (nutrition as well) should be a start for that. But also things like basic first aid and like home skills and stuff. I know school is supposed to develop higher level things than all that, but really? People aren't learning these things, so who is going to teach them if not schools?

I think much of this could be done as a basis in elementary school, where the primary education is in basic concepts and socialization. And I happen to think that being a functional self-sufficient human is a basic aspect of good socialization.

I mean, a lot of what I'm talking about is taught through programs adjacent to schools like Boy Scouts and, I don't know, on soccer teams and stuff. But wouldn't it be nice if you could learn to manage a simple fever or a couple cuts without having to learn about God in the process? And don't we think that stuff is valuable.

Also I sort of feel like with the world crumbling around us it might be nice to have some basic survival skills for the madmax-esque future that is growing closer every day.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I love the website. The organization provides me with resources, conveniently located and easily accessible, on the wide variety of issues I have to deal with on a daily basis. The updates on current research are invaluable.
----------------
Jenny Smith
New way to Advertise