Wednesday, December 24, 2008

Blurred lines

I was talking with Hot Sauce the other day and I realized that I learned a lot from video games. Seriously. I learned what flag went with what country, the rules of sports games, critical thinking, time management and a bunch of other stuff. But I never knew that was happening. It just sort of did. I think I'm better for it.

And this wasn't playing educational games either. This was playing Bomb the Russians and Kill Knife. There's always been a pretty bold line separating educational games from secular games. And guess what? No one that doesn't have to play educational games ever does. Seriously. They're boring as all fuck.

So the idea today is to blur those lines just a touch. Sneak in some elements of educational games into the regular games that all the normal kids are playing. Except normal kids aren't the biggest segment of people playing games...but that's another story.

What kind of educational elements? I don't effing know. More puzzles and facts thrown at you. You already have a lot of consequences built into games which is pretty cool. So maybe you don't need much more. But a few little tweaks would probably help.

No comments: