Sunday, August 31, 2008

I'm Back

Traffic Lawyers

Okay, so I hate traffic laws. Well I guess not all of them. But I hate speed limit laws. Not because they are to low or anything specific like that, but because they are selectively enforced laws that keep almost all drivers all the time guilty. Which means that at almost any given time that you're driving around a cop has the right to pull you over. I mean seriously, who doesn't stray above the speed limit? And even if you really do hang at the limit most of the time you're bound to cross it every once in awhile. And while cops certainly aren't pulling people over for those minor infractions, the fact remains that they are infraction in the eyes of the law and can be reasonable cause for pulling you over.

So the idea is for a group of lawyers (to finally help give their profession a good name) to start working on speeding ticket cases. Like an entire firm that is solely devoted to taking on speeding ticket cases and start setting up some precedent for these laws.

My thought being that the right of the law itself is unfair because it is impossible to create a solid standard for when people should get pulled over for speeding. It is far too open to police discretion. These lawyers should create precedent by getting rulings in favor of following the flow of traffic or the occasional increase in speed to pass someone.

I just don't like the idea of laws that create a near permanent sense of guilt. And I'm sure that that is exactly what these laws do. I think someone should be fighting to pin these laws down. And if the speed limit really is going to be 65 then that's what we'll drive. But if its going to be some unjustifiable amount above that then I'm just going to stay angry.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

You got caught again, didn't you.

Unknown said...

No. Just hate the idea of a guilt based society and am trying my best not to be super paranoid and think that that is precisely what the world runs on. Ick.